FAWCO and the UN
FAWCO is a United Nations accredited NGO (non-governmental organization) with special consultative status to the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). FAWCO's representatives at UN Headquarters in New York, Geneva, and Vienna attend UN meetings on behalf of FAWCO, focusing on issues related to women and children in the areas of education, environment, health and human rights.
UN Liaison: Laurie Richardson (AWA Vienna)
FAWCO’s UN Involvement
- Recognized as a non-governmental organization (NGO) by the United Nations Department of Public Information (DPI) in 1995
- Granted special consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) in 1997
- Member of CoNGO (Conference of NGOs with special consultative status)
- Member of NGO Committees on the Status of Women (NGO CSWs) in New York, Geneva and Vienna
- Serving in leadership positions on the Executive Boards of NGO CSWs in New York, Geneva and Vienna
- Member of the NGO Working Group on Girls (WGG) in New York and Chair of the WGG Advocacy Committee
- Member of Executive Committee of the UN DPI in New York
- Member of the NGO Committee on Migration in New York
- Member of NGO Committee on Human Rights in Geneva
FAWCO and its Member Clubs promote the principles of an NGO with UN ECOSOC consultative status by:
- Acting as a channel and resource of information for the membership.
- Encouraging participation by Member Clubs in FAWCO's local and global NGO concerns.
- Coordinating and promoting awareness among the Member Clubs on women's empowerment
- Arranging for speakers at FAWCO Conferences and meetings
- Publishing articles in the FAWCO FORUM and on FAWCO's website and social media
- Advocating for projects and laws that directly affect human rights
- Representing FAWCO at UN sponsored meetings, seminars, conferences and committees
- Encouraging, maintaining and promoting partnerships with other NGOs
- Endorsing UN principles, recognizing the UN as a forum for the peaceful resolution of conflicts.
News Bulletin on UN Issues for FAWCO Members
FAWCO sends a news bulletin on UN issues to members who subscribe. The UN Liaison Bulletin includes timely and interesting information about the United Nations and global issues. Log in and click on "Subscriptions" and select "UN" to receive updates on the UN and related issues.
Click to download the four-page CSW 59 FAWCO Brochure: front and back pages and the inside pages.