FAWCO and the UN
FAWCO is a United Nations accredited NGO (non-governmental organization) with special consultative status to the UN Economic and Social Council. FAWCO has representatives at UN Headquarters in New York, Geneva, and Vienna to disseminate information about the UN to FAWCO members. Our representatives attend UN meetings on behalf of FAWCO and focus on issues specifically related to women and children in the areas of education, environment, health, and human rights.
UN Liaison: Sara von Moos
FAWCO’s UN Involvement
- Recognized as a non-governmental organization (NGO) by the United Nations Department of Public Information (DPI) in 1995
- Granted special consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) in 1997
- Member of CoNGO (Conference of NGOs with special consultative status)
- Member of CoNGO's Committee on the Status of Women in New York, Geneva and Vienna
- Member of CoNGO's Special Committee of NGOs on Human Rights
FAWCO and its Member Clubs shall carry out the principles of an NGO with UN ECOSOC consultative status by:
- Acting as a channel and resource of information for the membership.
- Encouraging participation by Member Clubs in FAWCO's local and global NGO concerns.
- Coordinating and promoting awareness among the Member Clubs on the following issues:
- Arranging for speakers at annual FAWCO Conferences.
- Publishing articles in the FAWCO FORUM and including related information on FAWCO's website and social media.
- Advocating for projects and laws that directly affect human rights.
- Representing FAWCO at UN sponsored meetings, seminars, conferences and committees.
- Sending FAWCO representatives to the UN Department of Public Information conferences.
- Encouraging, maintaining and promoting relationships of mutual benefit with other NGOs.
- Endorsing UN principles, recognizing it as a forum for the peaceful resolution of conflict.
News Bulletin on UN Issues for FAWCO Members
FAWCO sends a news bulletin covering various UN issues to members who subscribe. The UN Liaison bulletin includes timely and interesting information about the United Nations and global issues. Log in & click on "Subscriptions" and tick on the "UN" box to get information on the UN and related issues.