FAWCO and the UN
FAWCO is a United Nations accredited NGO (non-governmental organization) with special consultative status to the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). FAWCO's representatives at UN Headquarters in New York, Geneva, and Vienna attend UN meetings on behalf of FAWCO, focusing on issues related to women and children in the areas of education, environment, health and human rights.
FAWCO's UN Liaison is Laurie Richardson (AWA Vienna). You can contact Laurie at .
FAWCO’s UN Involvement
- Recognized as a non-governmental organization (NGO) by the United Nations Department of Public Information (DPI) in 1995
- Granted special consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) in 1997
- Member of CoNGO (Conference of NGOs with special consultative status)
- Member of NGO Committees on the Status of Women (NGO CSWs) in New York, Geneva and Vienna
- Serving in leadership positions on the Executive Boards of NGO CSWs in New York, Geneva and Vienna
- Member of the NGO Working Group on Girls (WGG) in New York and Chair of the WGG Advocacy Committee
- Member of Executive Committee of the UN DPI in New York
- Member of the NGO Committee on Migration in New York
- Member of NGO Committee on Human Rights in Geneva
FAWCO and its Member Clubs promote the UN and its development agenda by:
- Raising awareness about the UN and its role in women's empowerment, peacemaking, human development, and protection of the Earth through communications in the FAWCO FORUM, on FAWCO's website and social media
- Endorsing UN principles and recognizing the UN as a forum for the peaceful resolution of conflicts
- Encouraging Member Clubs to get involved in FAWCO's global activities
- Advocating for projects and laws that increase and improve human rights
- Representing FAWCO at UN sponsored meetings, seminars, conferences and committees, and at the annual Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)
- Developing and promoting partnerships with other NGOs
- Arranging for UN speakers at FAWCO Conferences and meetings
Campaign for a Woman UN Secretary-General
FAWCO supports the Campaign for a Woman UN Secretary General. At the Interim Meeting in March, over 60 FAWCO women signed a petition calling for the next UN SG to be a woman. We passed the petitions on to the Campaign's Chair to demonstrate our commitment to this important cause. After 70 years of the UN with 8 male SGs, now is the time. Read more about it in Erica Higbie's article The Ultimate in Political Empowerment for Women.
News Bulletin on UN Issues for FAWCO Members
FAWCO sends periodic UN Liaison Bulletins on UN issues to members who subscribe. The UN Liaison Bulletin includes timely and interesting information about the United Nations and global issues. Log in and click on "Subscriptions" and select "UN" to receive updates on the UN and related issues.
Click to download the four-page CSW 60 FAWCO Brochure.