FAWCO is a United Nations accredited NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) with Special Consultative Status to the UN Economic and Social Council. FAWCO has NGO liaisons at UN Headquarters in NYC, and in Geneva and Vienna to disseminate information about the UN to FAWCO members. Our UN NGO representatives attend UN meetings on behalf of FAWCO on vital UN issues related to women, children, health, and the environment.
UN NGO Director: Pam Perraud
FAWCO’s UN Involvement
- Recognized as a non-governmental organization in 1995
- Granted consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) in 1997
- Member of CONGO (Conference of NGOs with consultative status)
- Member of CONGO's Committee on the Status of Women
- Member of CONGO's Special Committee of NGOs on Human Rights
UN NGO – Mission Statement
FAWCO and its Member Clubs shall carry out the principles of an NGO with UN ECOSOC consultative status by:
- Acting as a channel and resource of information among the membership
- Encouraging participation by Member Clubs in FAWCO's local and global NGO concerns
- Coordinating and promoting awareness among the Member Clubs on the work of FAWCO's Global Issues Task Forces on the following issues:
Education and Literacy
Human Rights in general, women and children's rights in particular
- Arranging for speakers and workshop/seminar activities to address global concerns and issues at annual FAWCO Conferences, maintaining an NGO section on the FAWCO website, publishing articles in the FAWCO FORUM and including related information in FAWCO internal news sources.
- Advocating for projects and laws that directly affect human rights and specifically supporting efforts to protect women and children in abusive and conflict situations
- Representing FAWCO and its Member Clubs at United Nations sponsored meetings, seminars, conferences and committees.
- Sending a FAWCO representative to the UN annual meeting of the NGO Department of Public Information
- Approving Resolutions & Recommendations at FAWCO Biennial Conferences that will serve as platforms of action for the following two years.
- Encouraging, maintaining, supporting and promoting relationships of mutual benefit with other NGOs.
- Endorsing the principles of the UN and recognizing it as a forum for the peaceful resolution of conflict
News Bulletin on UN NGO Issues for FAWCO Members
FAWCO sends a news bulletin covering various UN NGO issues to those members who subscribe.
The NGO News bulletin includes timely and interesting information from the United Nations and the Conference of NGOs with ECOSOC (CONGO).
Log in & click on "Subscriptions" to look through the list of Bulletins and make your selections.
UN NGO Issues - Global topics related to all UN issues, including the Millennium Development Goals, women and children's issues and human rights, etc.